Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Emulating

Detail
Detail
Detail

TOM - Here is one I've been working on and off for a while. I came up with the concept a few months ago while I was looking at a lot of classic pin up illustration. It was a challenging exercise to try and create my own classic looking pin ups for the posters on the wall and in the books on the floor. I drew them separately so I could treat each one as it's own illustration. I am always amazed by the incredible talent of guys like Gil Elvgren, Al Buell, Fritz Willis and many others. The idea of "emulation" in this piece not only goes for the woman in the illustration trying to emulate her pin up idols, but also me in some way paying homage to an incredible era in illustration history.



5 comments:

what up said...

Boootttyyy...I really love your color palette....especially the pink of her tights! xoxo_

james flames said...

yeah, that is some nice booty.
good job, my favorite part is how her toes are curled and her feet are twisted over each other - it looks very natural. this makes a nice companion piece to your recent "Newspaper" illustration, both in terms of pallette and composition.

i'm not sure if i totally feel the airbrush effect to some of the coloring, though the shine on her tights is pretty perfect. one thing though: i do wish the image was larger - i know you put alot of work into those background posters and i can barely see them. can you post a 'detail shot' or a bigger image? that would be awesome.

EDWIN VAZQUEZ said...

I like the fan on the ass... nice...

thomas pitilli said...

I like big butts and I cannot lie...

H. Stewart said...

Hey these are fantastic.