Thursday, October 6, 2011

New Prints & Posters

"Born Bad"
"Mixtape Make-Up"
"Asheville, NC"
JAMES - It been a REALLY busy end of summer, working on all sorts of exciting projects. I can finally start rolling out the first bunch - starting with these three.

First is my Garbage Pail Kids print, for the recent show at Gallery 1988. Those old cards and stickers were such a huge part of growing up for me, and it's no secret that I actually got my name from the original card (#317A) of "James Flames" - a little dude eating hot sauce and spitting fire. Well, when I was asked to be a part of the show, there was no question which character I would portray. The title of this one is "Born Bad", and I'll be damned if he ain't. The artwork and printing on this might be the work I'm proudest of to this point - the print is quite a killer in person, if I do say so. An 8-color screen print, 18" x 24" on 100lb White French Paper, Signed & Numbered Edition of 100 - they're available now in my store for $30 each: http://jamesflames.com/pages/STORE-GarbagePailKidsJamesFlames.html



Next is a poster I created for the Hopscotch Music Festival in Raleigh, NC. Featured as part of the "Posterscotch" poster show at Amplified Art Gallery, I thought I'd get a little sentimental with this one. The title is "Mixtape Make-Up" - an homage to the days when a $2.99 blank tape and an afternoon with your records offered a better alternative to the sappy "I'm sorry" love letter. The print is based on semi-transparent colors overlapping each other, including the Black, which is thin enough to see the colors underneath peaking through. A 4-color screen print, 18" x 24" on 100lb White French Paper, Signed & Numbered Edition of 75 - they're also now available in my store for $20 each: 



Last but not least is a print I created as a tribute to the town I've called home for the past 4 1/2 years, Asheville, North Carolina. I debuted these prints at the LAAFF festival in Downtown Asheville about a month ago, and it was great to see people connect with the artwork the same way that I connect to this town through it. Depicting the almost fairy-tale town nestled within the almighty Blue Ridge Mountains as the French Broad River roars to a waterfall end, these are all my favorite parts of living here. The hand lettering is the finishing touch to bring it all home. A 5-color screen print, 24" x 18" on 80lb Cream Spekletone French Paper, Signed & Numbered Edition of 65 - these are available in my store for $20 each: http://jamesflames.com/pages/STORE-AshevilleNC.html



Thanks for reading. I should have more new stuff in another week or two. In the meantime, back to work...

No comments: