Thursday, August 25, 2011

Blitzen Trapper Tour Poster - "The Man Who Would Speak True"

18" x 24" Six Color Screenprint (including Metallic Gold), Edition of 160
 JAMES - Blitzen Trapper has a new album coming out in a few weeks, and earlier this summer they went out on tour to debut the new stuff. I was psyched when they approached me to do the poster for the tour - this is now my fourth Blitzen Trapper poster, and they're always one of my most favorite bands to work with. The band's copies of the poster sold out while on tour, but I now have some copies for sale on my website for $25 each.
 www.jamesflames.com/pages/STORE-TheManWhoWouldSpeakTrue.html

For this one, I decided to use one of their songs, "The Man Who Would Speak True," as my inspiration (awesome song, by the way - check it). Here's a quick photo rundown of my process for creating the poster. As you'll see, after the sketch was finalized, I hand drew all the color separations, then compiled each part into the computer to create my films for screen printing. As usual, I printed them all by hand in my studio - I used Metallic Gold ink for part of the outline, and it looks so sick. You can see the metallic effect in the photos at the bottom.
Sketching begins. A few other ideas tossed away after I settled on this one.

Final sketch.

Enlarged pencil drawing, getting everything in place and ready for ink.

Inks for the shepherd and cloak, as usual done with my trusty #2 brush.

Lettering squigglies and shading drawn separately. I used a very soft pencil for both of these so that these particular parts would have some texture to them on the final print.

Assembling the parts in Photoshop, and preparing the films for printing.

Final print!


Close-ups.
Thanks for reading. Lots of new stuff coming along after Labor Day - it's been a BUSY summer. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Eliza Frye said...

The gold ink in there is absolutely brilliant. Your work is so smart.