Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Head In My Hands In My Head


JAMES - Here's my latest, it's for Tortoise's recent killer show at the Orange Peel here in Asheville, NC. Hell of a show, and really nice guys - it was an awesome night. The remaining posters are now available on my site - www.jamesflames.com/store.html - $20 each.

This was a real fun one to make. Just a ton of overprinting - six colors continuously laid on-top of each other. I wanted the color and ink to literally saturate every square inch of it. Here's some pics and words about my process:


In the photo you see the sketch to the right, which was my guideline for everything. The base of the mask was made with cutouts, which were then photographed. I wanted the natural curl of the cardboard and the shadow it cast below it to be visible on the final print. Then I drew the ornamental part of the mask, as well as all the rest of the flourishes, on paper and scanned them into the computer.


I now had a bunch of different pieces, and so it was a matter of assembling it all, using Photoshop and Illustrator (see the photo) to make it look like that original sketch.

detail shot

When it came time to mix the inks for printing, I made sure to keep the colors as loud and proud as possible. And I'm psyched that all the little details of the photographed mask came through, even as it's buried under layers of other color.

6-color screenprint, 19"x25", on 110lb Smart White French paper, edition of 100, signed and numbered

Get 'em while they're hot, not very many remaining - www.jamesflames.com/store.html. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

alex fine illustration said...

Another amazing poster. I knew this was going to turn out great from the first post.

james flames said...

Thanks dude! Your stuff's been killin' lately too.