Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Miles On My Mind


JAMES - Here's my newest poster, this time for Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. By now, everyone probably knows their song "Home" - one of my total favorites from the past year or so. So much so, that I used it as the prevailing theme for this poster.

The show was last week, and the Orange Peel was absolutely packed with a sold out crowd. Great live band, awesome musicianship. And at the end of the show, they jumped off the stage and went to the center of the crowd, and got the audience to sit down on the floor around them while they finished the set with an acoustic song. The floor was filthy, so I stayed standing, haha - but it was cool to watch, for sure. These posters sold like crazy, but I do have a few left over that are on sale through my website now. www.jamesflames.com/store.html


Like I said, I knew what I wanted to do with this poster right away. The image was already burned in my mind from a few days earlier, and I applied it to this concept.

I continued one newer technique that I've been employing lately - I painted directly onto the films for all the screens except the lettering. As opposed to printing the films out from my computer as I usually do, yhis allows for a loose and painterly quality to the final print, and gives me a certain control over the way the brush translates from the film to the final print (in case this is confusing: the films are used to burn the images onto the screens, and the screens are used to print the images onto the paper. My video explains this pretty well - http://www.youtube.com/user/ffboyracer#p/a/u/1/BloazcSCZYo).


As for the lettering, this was all hand drawn on paper - for stuff like this I just use regular old copy paper so that I can do it over and over and not worry about wasting the expensive stuff. I scanned it in, cleaned it up, and voila! For the films, I printed them out via my ink-jet printer and incorporated them into the hand-painted films.



Here are color-by-color shots of the printing process. Five screens in all.

Another new technique I used this time was something I've never done before - split-fountain. It's how I got the background to fade from green to yellow - basically, both color inks go onto the screen at the same time, side-to-side, and you keep doing test prints till it fades perfectly, then you start the real printing. It takes FOREVER! But damn it looks pretty awesome - and every fade is unique, no two posters are exactly the same.

detail shot

5-color screenprint, 25"x19", on 110lb Smart White French paper, edition of 100, signed and numbered

Like I said, these are available now on my website: www.jamesflames.com/store.html
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

So beautiful! That mist really gets me.