Thursday, April 1, 2010

Revenge of the Cobra Kai


JAMES - Another new poster, this one for King Khan and the Shrines, one of the best live acts out there now. This is my second poster for them, and it's always a good time drawing stuff to go with their music. 20 points to whoever can correctly identify the reference of the name of this poster, "Revenge of the Cobra Kai" (no Google cheating!).


The Orange Peel wanted a full color poster to promote the show, so going into it I knew I had a full palette to work with. But first I worked out the blacks & whites. From the photo above, you can see the evolution of the sketches, from itty bitty thumbnail scribbles in pencil, to a succession of marker drawings. I knew it was missing something, and adding that cobra, and the heavy black contrast, really brought this one home.


The final illustration was done with brush and ink on bristol paper, and some marker for the lettering. Then I scanned it and colored it in Photoshop. I had done some quick color studies in the sketch phase, so I knew exactly what I wanted to do.


These posters are not for sale, as they were intended only for promotion, and there wasn't enough time before the show to do a proper screen print. But I will be including a free black & white version of this poster with all orders from my store or on Gigposters - www.jamesflames.com/store.html or www.gigposters.com

Oh, by the way, I'm now on Facebook and Twitter. Click the little buttons at the top right of this page to find me!

3 comments:

alex fine illustration said...

King Khan is awesome but even if I never saw them, this poster would definitely spark my interest. The bandages look great and it really holds its own as a black and white poster.

james flames said...

Thanks alot Alex, I worked real hard to keep it 'readable' in both B&W and Color. Wasn't sure if I succeeded fully - it's always hard to tell after you've been staring at it forever - so I'm glad you said that.

thomas pitilli said...

I agree with Alex, the black and white is super strong. Great inking. Fun poster all around!