Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Basic Space


JAMES - My poster for the xx is now available online on my website. The show was last Thursday up in Carrboro at the Cat's Cradle, and man, it was incredible. The xx has gotta be one of my favorite three bands right now, and they just killed it! The show was sold out, and I met lots of great folks. All the posters I brought with me that night sold out. But I did set some aside, so get them while you can. www.jamesflames.com/store.html


Somebody put a bunch of pics from the show on Flickr - check them out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/emily_hogan/tags/thexx/


The actual illustration for this was done back in January. I did a ton of sketching as usual, but the final sketches that you see above just kind of came about when I stopped 'thinking' about it, and just let it flow. As you can see, the final is pretty faithful to the sketch - once it hit me, I knew exactly what I wanted.

detail shot

Eighty percent of the final illustration was actually done in Adobe Illustrator - the vector lines make it real smooth. The lettering was all hand drawn on paper, then scanned, and painstakingly traced in Illustrator to keep it as clean as the rest of the lines of the figure. The eyes and lips were done with charcoal on paper - those are the only things not vector.

2-color screenprint, 19"x25", on 110lb. Smart White French paper, edition of 70

This was one of the first things I printed at my new print shop, and they came out really great. The blacks are deep, and the paper is extra heavy and super bright white.

3 comments:

alex fine illustration said...

You can do a lot with 2 pulls. This turned out great! The charcoal lines really stand out in a good way.

james flames said...

Thanks man - the charcoal was totally last minute. Originally they were also vector lines, but I had a change of heart at the 11th hour, right before printing.

thomas pitilli said...

Dope.